Dry Arc Distance - the shortest distance across the insulator surface between the ground and energized portion of the insulator.
Leakage Distance - the distance between the energized and ground portions of the insulator moving in and out of the sheds
- Sometimes referred to as “strike distance” or “tight string distance”
- A major determinant in defining insulator flashover and withstand values
Section Length - the straight-line distance between the connecting points of the insulator end fittings
- Also referred to as “creep” or “creepage distance”
- Most critical in highly contaminated areas
- Referenced to ensure that the insulator “fits” properly in a given application